This book presents a clear, concise, and complete overview of humor – far beyond its added enjoyment to life. It is intended to help teachers bridge the gap between theory and practice and encourage them to be more aware of and sensitive to the powerful role humor plays in the teaching and learning process. By discussing the theories, forms, and categories of humor, as well as offering 100+ classroom-tested activities, it will help educators use humor appropriately and effectively. Major educational benefits include:
- Enhancing academic content comprehension and retention
- Obtaining and maintaining student attention
- Reducing distress
- Augmenting Creative Thinking skills
- Engaging and energizing students and teachers
- And much, much more!
Dr. Edward de Bono, one of the world’s leading experts on thinking and thinking skills stated. “It has always surprised me how little attention philosophers have paid to humor, since it is a more significant process of mind than reason. Reason can only sort out perceptions, but the humor process is involved in changing them.”To this end, the author has provided background related literature and materials designed to present the reader both a broad view and a comprehensive look at this complex and rather sophisticated topic.
Humor is a powerful learning tool. It can help you become a more effective teacher! Find out how you can make it work for you and your students! Give yourself permission to use humor to make learning more fun and enjoyable. An added benefit will be discovering the humor-creativity connection!
- The Five Elements Related to Humor
- Humor Identification (Theories, Form, and Categories)
- Humor Appreciation: “I can appreciate the humor but I don’t enjoy it.”
- Mirth Response: “A serious look at laughter.”
- Humor Comprehension: “Now I get it!”
- Humor Production: “Yes, you can learn to be funny.”
- Infusing Humor into Academic Subjects
- Action Plans: Classroom Tested Ideas
- Caveats When Using Humor in the Classroom
- Benefits of Using Humor in the Classroom
- How to Develop Your Sense of Humor
- Humor Action Plan
Size: 6 x 9 inches